If you are using a shared PC make sure you log out at the end of your session. This protects your account privacy and especially important if you use a PC in a public library or an internet cafe.

Author Topic: * Crocks (Canadian) ??  (Read 6749 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
* Crocks (Canadian) ??
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:21:03 AM »
That is Crocks.....do you discuss anything here about the old crocks.  Being Canadian, I have some big old crocks that were made in ALBERTA.  Company called "Med Alta".  I have a "Red Wing", and have another one with what is know as the "Sleepy Indian" on it.  Some are like 25 gallons, to a couple gallons.

I am new here, and just wondering if any of the topics are on crocks, or makers.  I was just wondering.  THANKS :)  Anyone interested in this topic?

- antiquerose123
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline Della

• Board User
  • More glass than sense!
Re: * Crocks (Canadian) ??
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:27:36 AM »
Hi antiquerose,

A ?? Being over, over, the pond from you..................what is a crock? A crock pot? To me, an old crock is a grumpy old person  :-\
Might sound like a dumb question, but if one doesn't know the answer, then there are no dumb questions (or so my Grandpa told me, when I was 5).

Oh, P.S. Welcome  ;D
Women wish to be loved not because they are pretty, or good, or well bred, or graceful, or intelligent, but because they are themselves.
(Henri Frederic Amiel 1821-1881, Swiss Philosopher, Poet, Critic)

Offline Elaine

• Board User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:39:03 AM »
I have a big old bread crock (which I use to store my washing up brushes, liquid, etc. in the kitchen) but it's English.  It came from my great-grandfather's farm in Norfolk. I have no idea of the maker, as it's very heavy and hasn't moved from where it sits for many years.  I suppose I could go and heave it out and look, but ....  :-\ (Basically, I'm lazy!  ;)  :D )  I think it would have had a wooden lid originally, but it never had in my life-time! 

Is this the sort of crock you meant?

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:41:29 AM »
Hi....no not grumpy old people :gcheer: but in the olden days (maybe the 1920-1940 ?) when the farmers would make there homemade pickles, saukeraut, whatever, they would make them in these.  There were also used to store items such as flour, and stuff in the older days.  Collecting crocks (don't need grumpy old men ::)) here in Canada is a trend, as I imagine other places.  I will take some pixs, and if I ever can figure out how to get them small on here to post  ??? I will.  I'm not a computor :comp: WHIZ by no means.....have to get my more intelligent son to help.  I was just wondering, since this is a stoneware thing, if anybody was discussing this on here.  THANKS

Prehaps ELAINE....I do not know if bread was stored in this, but I guess one could store anything in it.  The ones that I have are big, round, thick, extremely heavy.  The bigger ones have side handles on them.  They come with lids, but a lot of times the lids got broke when something was being stored in it (I wonder how many feet were also injuried).

I quickly google old stoneware crocks, and here is an example of what I mean:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/clt/396857894.html

I hope that helps in what I mean   :) :)

- antiquerose123
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      

Offline Elaine

• Board User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:57:27 AM »
It was just always called 'the bread crock' when I was a child.  Therefore that's what it's always been to me, although  I have no way of knowing if it was actually used for bread or anything else!   ::)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:09:29 AM »
Hi Elaine....that was quick  :o .  You must have gave the old 'heave ho' .  Yes, I would think that would be a version of a crock.  I have a large bowl similar to that (and heavy) that my Mom used for making bread in, and to let the bread rise.  I do not know if you had looked at the picture of site I posted that I quickly found when I googled, since I have no pictures yet of my crocks ( as I would have to do the heave-ho, too) but that is similar to what I mean.

People want to collect them, and the prices wanted for these items appears to reflect that.... :D

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:15:11 AM »
I used to have a couple of those before my ex did his clumsy oaf routine and demolished them (along with several butter dishes, various other bits of pottery, glass, etc...). One was tall and straight sided with EGGS stencilled onto the side of it - presumably for storing eggs in isinglass.  The other was a really nice earthy coloured urn shaped one with a matching lid, and with shaped finger handles on each side. That one I used for storing bread in.

My mother and grandmother used to have the sort which Leni showed - called bread crocks not because bread was stored in them, but because they were used to mix and rise the bread dough in when making bread.  They also used to use them to make tatie pie or Lancashire hotpot in. I have a small size one somewhere in the kitchen - not a bread sized one - just for making a small tatie pie or hotpot in. I'll try and do pics later - found it lurking in the back of the cupboard whilst shifting things out for the builders. :)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline Elaine

• Board User
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »
Yes, of course, for MAKING bread, not storing!  :D

Mine is too BIIIIG and heavy for me!  So no, I didn't heave it out, I just moved the stuff around it and photographed it 'in situ'  ;) ;D

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:29:46 AM »
I quickly 'web-jumped' away to find some other examples of what I mean  :comp: ::

http://www.antiquecorner.ca/listings.php?id=3

These are similar examples of RED-WING CROCKS, MED ALTA CROCKS, AND MED ALTA SHOULDER JUGS that I am referring to.  Red wing is highly collectable, and well known.  The Med Alta crocks signed were made in Alberta, CANADA, but less known around the world, but gaining respect....as a Canadian myself, of course I would say that, lol :ao:                                       

-- antiquerose--

Offline Elaine

• Board User
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 10:39:59 AM »
OH has the day off work today, and he kindly 'heave-ho'ed the bread crock out so I could photo the base.  Sadly, it has no maker's marks of any sort  :-\

Offline Elaine

• Board User
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 10:45:49 AM »
Looking at your link, Rose, I suddenly realised I have a whole collection of 'crocks' in my kitchen! 
These are all English crocks (like me!  ;D

Please don't look too closely at the dust!!!!!  :blush:   

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 11:00:39 AM »
Hey, I got everyone looking in their cupboards  :clap:.  That's good to see.  Some of these are really big pieces of "pottery". :D  I guess they could be called "stoneware", or I think they have been referred to as "salt-glazed"....but do NOT take my word on this, as remember, I am the newbie here.  ???  I have about 9 of these big crocks and I love them.   :love:

Has no one ever brought up the topic of these on this site?  I hope (and looks like) a positive place to discuss these. :gcheer:

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 08:00:14 PM »
If we're talking the jar-type ones I have some of those, and stoneware bottles as well. I use the jar types as holders in the kitchen - for serving spoons, knives, etc...  They're quite common around where I live. All mine are English, some have the maker's stamp on them, others have names for English firms, so I'm not sure American is the best forum for them. We'll see how it goes, but we may need to move the topic again somewhere Pip. (No idea where as yet though!!!)  :)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 09:18:34 PM »
Hi there had my sleep.  :tea: I guess there is about 7 hours difference to where this forum is, and where I am in Canada.  It's after 2:00 p.m. here, so I imagine it must be around 9:00 pm there (forum page). 

As for the crock thing, people here (and the US I believe) like to collect, as there is getting to be less of them around.  Yes, some people use them for decoration - I have mine in the basement, beside an antique dresser.  I have some of the smaller ones on my cupboards to utensils.  When you speak about collecting pottery, well, this is the big (heavy) end of it.  Some can be reasonable priced ($ 50 can dollars) to over $ 900 can dollars. 

I guess, most country families, or areas near to the farming element may remember grandparents using these.  In antique books like Miller, or Kovels they are listed. Red wing is sought after-I know that.  As with anything, the different designs, where made, size, age, and shape all contribute tothe price of them.  Hope that there are other pottery lovers of these big bad heavy pieces of pottery....lol   :o

- antiquerose123

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 09:57:34 PM »
Yup...big and heavy  :D  The green "giant of pottery".  I know they are hot collectibles in the States.  Some are from the late 1700, and the 1800's.  I guess it's a part of our past, just as long as you don't take your back out trying to move it....lol  ;D

- antiquerose

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk