If you have problems with your password & need help, use the Contact button at the top to ask for help.

Author Topic: Mudlen End Studio Pottery  (Read 26996 times)

Offline Elaine

• Board User
Mudlen End Studio Pottery
« on: August 24, 2007, 03:13:30 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Mudlen End Studios and James Hart, the potter who made all the little model houses based on real places in Suffolk?  I have a couple, the Crooked House and the Tide Mill, but I haven't been able to find out anything more about James Hart.  What else did he do other than the little houses?  Anyone got examples of his other work?

Offline josordoni

• Board Moderator
  • Board Enthusiast
    • Josordoni Collectables
Re: Mudlen End Studio Pottery
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:36:35 PM »
I must say, I've only ever come across the little houses.  I bought up the complete collection at one time, and some of them are really really rare, and make very substantial money - I think I sold one of them (the Town Hall if I rememebr) for about ?90.  There are some which are rather darker yellowy in colour, with flowers outside the door, the Larks Rise to Candleford collection, and they
are very prized too.  Most of the big collectors seem to be in the US.

This is a good resource for naming them, and putting their numbers to the names.

http://www.wadewhimsie.co.uk/mudlen.htm

and a scan of them all here:
http://www.csbr19338.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Backstamps%20pages/Mudlen%20End.htm

Offline Elaine

• Board User
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 04:22:24 PM »
Thank you very much!  :kissy:  I just wish I'd bought more of the little houses when I had the chance!  We only bought a couple, from the places we visited!  The watermill we bought from Woodbridge Tide Mill, and the Crooked House from ..... the Crooked House! (which is actually a shop!) 

Offline josordoni

• Board Moderator
  • Board Enthusiast
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 01:40:21 PM »
Leni, I've got a new batch of Mudlen End houses, quite a few of the rarities, and some nice colourways (blue, red and one green) as well as the standard colours.  Starting to go on, the first batch is on more to come...

Offline fredlamb

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »
Just happened on to the inquiries about Mudlen End Studio Pottery from 2007.  I know quite a lot about this small company and its founder,
James Hart.  In the 1980's I traveled to Suffolk, England and met James Hart at his small home-studio.  James and I struck an immediate
friendship which led to my importing his cottages to the USA for distribution. I also started a new ceramic manufacturing company, Mudlen Originals, to produce my own designs. All was done with James Hart's blessing. In fact, I brought James to California for more than a month to train me in the art of clay modeling and mold making.  I developed a successful national business over the following 8 years at which time I sold it. James has since passed and I recently started a dialogue with his son, Ben, about our experiences together. 

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 06:16:47 PM »
Fred, welcome to the board, and thank you for adding your info re Mudlen above. It's a fascinating area for sure.
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk