Only registered users can view our extensive collection of pottery marks images.

Author Topic: Do you know anything about chairs?  (Read 5867 times)

Offline keith

• Board Addict
Do you know anything about chairs?
« on: May 09, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »
Was given a pair of these,came up nice after a little beeswax and a new cushion and base,of my own design ;D ;D but what do the numbers and letters mean,can't find anything on the net,help please, ;D (excuse the scruffy spare room :thd:)

Offline keith

• Board Addict
Re: Do you know anything about chairs?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:38:11 PM »
What,no chair experts ! :o :o :thd: ;D ;D

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »
None that I know of Keith...  treen doesn't usually cover chairs or suchlike larger pieces of furniture. ;)
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline keith

• Board Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 12:25:21 AM »
Thanks Anne,wasn't sure where to place this one, ;D ;D

Offline user9318

• Board Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:29 AM »
I do know a little about chairs, but without getting my hands on chairs, it is hard to determine whether a chair is old or not. You have to see the way the are constructed, how the pieces are joined etc, as different time periods (eg Victorian, Georgian) used different ways to join the legs, arms etc. To be honest, my knowledge is mostly of Georgian furniture.

They look like nice chairs, with an H stretcher. They could be late Victorian or Edwardian, but this only a guess.

Offline keith

• Board Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 03:29:25 PM »
Thanks for looking,I think they are probably late Edwardian,basic construction but well made,not too much wear, ;D ;D

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 05:29:33 PM »
When we started the board the view of those here then was that furniture was outside our remit really as they didn't fall into the collectables category... then again my mother had umpteen chairs... so many that it was nicknamed the national chair collection by the family! <lol>
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline keith

• Board Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:19:40 PM »
Never meant to collect chairs but we have four now,the two dining chairs,a Czech 'bentwood' and a very nice 'Arts and Crafts' type oak hall chair and nowhere to put any of them, :thd: ;D ;D

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 12:35:15 AM »
That's the problem with them - they are so big! Two of the national chair collection came to us - my son has one - a huge leather winged armchair which he adores, and I have a smaller armchair with a wooden frame, which I'm planning on doing up this year, which is my reading chair. Then there's a Lloyd Loom chair in the spare bedroom - I love those, they are just so comfie!
Cheers!
 Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk