If you have problems with your password & need help, use the Contact button at the top to ask for help.

Author Topic: Water Color - OLD? Gabriel  (Read 7636 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
  • Say "YES" to Antiques........LOL
Water Color - OLD? Gabriel
« on: June 12, 2010, 02:04:02 AM »
Hi:
I find this to be a interesting post here, and I will tell you why..... ;D

I saw this at a Flea market, and thought "I have one something like this."  So of course, I had to buy it.  They wanted $25, I paid $15.

So the water Color looks OLD, and has on it:

"HOLLAND MILL"
Then looks like the word "AFTER"
Then Signed "GABRIEL"

Please the pics posted here of this item:

..........So when I got home, I check here on the board as I knew I had posted the other picture I had of a Windmill here.   I am referring to the *other post* that I had posted here under HANK:
http://www.yobunny.com/pottery/index.php?topic=4361.0

Anyways....when I looked back at that post (about HANK) and it was said by Lustrousstone, quoted from that post: 
"It's a copy of this one, done I assume from memory, i.e., no camera involved, by Hank van der [Insert name beginning with Pe... LINK HERE."

So then when you go there where it talks about a painting by PAUL GABRIEL, quote from the above LINK:

A windmill in a polder landscape on a bright, warm day in July. The water in the canal reflects the sky and the mill. The painter, Paul Gabriel, placed the mill in a finely balanced composition that radiates peace and harmony. Influenced by impressionist ideas, he painted the scene onto the canvas with quick strokes of the brush. This work was acquired by the Rijksmuseum in 1889 for a thousand guilders a few years after the purchase of a work by G.H. Breitner. It was highly unusual to buy these modern works. There was hardly any interest in government-sponsored institutions for contemporary art.

So back in that HANK post, we thought HANK had copied a painting of windmills down by PAUL GABRIEL.  So now, I just happened to find a pix here that is of the same scene, and IS signed with a GABRIEL (Paul???).

So do you think this GABRIEL painting was done by a PAUL GABRIEL?  Is it old?  Is it original?  Looks real to me -- but it is a water color.  I did find somewhere on the net that he (GABRIEL) had done watercolors early in his Career, but I can not find IF he did this one?  I know that the net says GABRIEL did this in OILS...so I am confused here.

.....and the funny thing here is -- that my HANK picture posting a couple years ago, we refer to a PAUL GABRIEL there.....and now I found one

The 2 pics look like the same, and that HANK had copied off the picture of GABRIEL -- but is my GABRIEL real (think so) and is it OLD?

Funny -- how this happened....LOL......2 years apart....LOL 

:hlp: me on this Please!!
Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      
antiquerose123 (Rose) :rse:  

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
Re: Water Color - OLD? Gabriel
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 02:14:54 AM »
** Here is a photo of the back (etc, the frame, and close-up) of this GABRIEL watercolor -- looks old to me....***

So (might) I have the painting that HANK had painted a copy of (off of a Paul Gabriel painting)  -- and (might) this GABRIEL I have now, be an original??

Interested to hear your thoughts, or what you can find out....and if I did -- maybe some $$ worth in it ??

Every flower that has ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of DIRT FIRST......:flowers2:      

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
  • "La Grande Fromage" "caise gla mhor"
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
Hiya Rose, fancy finding two paintings of the same subject... how unusual. Anyhow, the clue here is in the word "after", which in painting-speak means painted as a copy or in the style of the person whose name follows the "after", so this one is painted by someone as a copy / in the style of Paul Gabriel who painted the original.

I take it that you've not found any other signature in this painting itself to indicate the actual artist?

Given that you have found two in the same area within a relatively short timespan, I wonder if this is one of those paintings which has been used by an art class somewhere as one that is copied as a way of learning techniques?

By the way, a handy hint I picked up from an episode of Priceless Antiques Roadshow sometime: if you shine a UV light onto a painting it can sometimes show up things which have been painted over (or restored) etc...  including signatures! So when you get your UV light check your pics over and see what you can spot. There's a page about what and why here: http://www.gainsboroughproducts.com/uvl_inspection.html ;)

Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 06:41:23 AM »
Hi Anne --
Thanks for that Super Link -- I hope you posted that over at the GMB too.

I was wondering that too....if they might be from art classes, but this one is (I think) definably older.  I haven't spotted no signature on it -- but if you look at the pic -- it looked like it had a *mat* over it at one time.  So maybe this writing was underneath the mat -- as a reference (if it was copied) and the actual artist name was *once* on the mat -- that has been long removed...

Could be an art class, or just that because I have the HANK picture, I noted this one more *easier* as it was something I recognized.

Not sure -- but will still work on this one.....I kinda wonder why it said *after* -- after what.  I did not know if the work was called after, or just a popular place (subject) to paint.

I (might) open the back -- though I hate to do that -- but I might do that to see if anything back there.

Thanks again -- and super, super LINK there about UV light - worth keeping that link too - here on the board.

;)

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »
"After" means in the style of a particular artist, Rose.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_After_------_artist_mean
Cheers!
 Anne

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 07:46:09 PM »
Oh --- I never knew that.  I thought it was entitled *After* -- but then I was wondering after what......

So maybe the mat did have the name there on it -- but now gone.  When I get a UV light, I will look around some to see if anything -- or anything under the back paper.....(maybe)

Thanks Anne :)

Offline antiquerose123

• Board Super-hero
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 03:00:09 AM »
Finally figured out the name:

*HANK* van der Breggen

...I believe, from Regina Saskatchewan

Offline Anne

• tekniqual wizzerd
  • Board Admin
  • Board Super-hero
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 04:43:16 AM »
Yay! Well done, Rose. :)
Cheers!
 Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk